Swiss Scalloped Potatoes
1 h 30 m
“Hot and gooey piece of potato heaven.”
- 5 yellow potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced, divided
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 8 slices cooked bacon, crumbled, divided
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into chunks
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a shallow 3-quart baking dish.
- Layer about 1/3 the potatoes into the bottom of the baking dish; top with layers of about 1/3 each of onion, garlic, bacon, and Swiss cheese, respectively. Season the layers with 1/4 teaspoon salt and about 1/3 the black pepper. Repeat the onion, garlic, bacon, and Swiss cheese layering. Top with the remaining potatoes, onion, garlic, bacon, salt, and pepper; reserve the remaining Swiss cheese for later. Pour chicken broth evenly over the dish; dot with butter chunks.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour. Top with remaining Swiss cheese and continue baking until the cheese is melted and the broth absorbed, about 30 minutes more. Cool 10 minutes before serving.