Crispy Vegetable Pakoras
“These are very yummy, and if any of you have ever had Japanese tempura coated veggies, you’ll love this recipe. It’s similar, yet it is unique in it’s taste. Serve with a chili sauce, mint yogurt sauce, or sweet and sour sauce. Try other vegetables for dipping, such as sweet potatoes, broccoli and asparagus.”
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 quart oil for deep frying
- 1/2 head cauliflower florets
- 2 onions, sliced into rings
- Sift the chickpea flour into a medium bowl. Mix in the coriander, salt, turmeric, chili powder, garam masala and garlic.
- Make a well in the center of the flower. Gradually pour the water into the well and mix to form a thick, smooth batter.
- Over medium high heat in a large, heavy saucepan, heat the oil to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Coat the cauliflower and onions in the batter and fry them in small batches until golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels before serving.